How to clean your kitchen with baking soda ?
If you want to maintain your kitchen clean in an environmentally friendly way, try using baking soda instead of commercial cleaners which contain harsh chemicals that are harmful for your home as well as the environment. Below are some examples how baking soda can be used in the kitchen for cleaning.
- In case of small fires, such as electrical or grease fires. Just toss a handful into the flames to put them out.
- Plastic cutting boards tend to retain the smells of foods that were cut on them like garlic and onions. To remove these smells, use a paste of baking soda and lemon, and scrub the board. Let it stay for about 30 minutes, and rinse the paste with vinegar, followed by a thorough rinsing with water.
- Get rid of the awful smell emanating from your garbage can by sprinkling in some baking soda at the bottom of the pail, and also in the garbage bag.
- Keep kitchen surfaces such as counter tops and tiles clean, by cleaning with baking soda and hydrogen peroxide, sprinkled on a fresh cloth. Follow by wiping with a damp cloth. This will also clear grease marks and oil spills.
- If you have marble or granite counter tops, use a paste of baking soda with hydrogen peroxide and water for stain removal. Apply the paste and cover it with a damp paper towel. Let it rest overnight and wipe it clean in the morning.
- If food dries out in a pan, or gets burnt, it can be removed by sprinkling baking soda at the base and soaking it overnight in hot water.
- Food containers also tend to develop stale smells. To remove these, soak the containers in a solution of baking soda in hot water, overnight.
- All the silverware in the kitchen can be cleaned by using a solution of 3 parts baking soda to one part water. Put the paste on the items and rinse with warm water. This solution can also be used to keep stainless steel appliances sparkling. Just wipe them with a damp cloth after applying the paste, in the direction of the grains.
- Even stains on china can be removed by scrubbing and cleaning with baking soda and hydrogen peroxide.
- Heat a baking soda solution in a glass bowl for 3 minutes in the microwave, to loosen the oil collection in the microwave. Wipe it clean. Do not heat for long as this may cause an eruption inside the microwave.